Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Royal Couple

So, I totally jumped on the Royal bandwagon. I just love them. I love the image that they portray. I love that they are genuinely in love. I love that they dont care that traditionally the Royal Couple doesnt do this and the Royal Couple must do that. And I love that they are both beautiful. Ya, Kate Middleton is a little bit too skinny, or a lot to skinny, but if I had to live up to Princess Diana and the Queen, I wouldnt eat either. When we were in Canada, we happened to be there the same time the Royal Couple was in town. They had two events that the public were allowed to attend and if you wanted to do it, then you had to stand in line on Wednesday morning to get wristbands. I thought it would be fun to see them, but there was no way I was going to stand in line with 2 small kids days in advance. We drove by Tuesday night and there were already people in line so we said forget it. The next morning, we were watching the news and getting ready to go to the zoo and the news report said that they still had a bunch of wristbands left. We decided to try it. Why not? When are we ever going to have an opportunity like that again? So we went. There was no line. We walked right up, got our wristbands and walked out. We even ended up with two extras that I tried to convince my friend Shelley to fly up to use, but had no luck:( So we sold them and made $100. Scrappy I tell ya!
Anyway, Thursday night, you had to be in line between 430 and 615.  We got there at 6 (long story involving trains, walking the wrong way, carrying a double stroller and two kids down 3 flights of stairs) I was ready to just go home! But, we ended up being 3 rows of people back and when the Royal Couple arrived, it was truly magical. I may or may not have teared up a little bit. I just thought it was so cool. We tried to explain to Claire that we were going to see the princess, but since she didnt look like Cinderella or Belle in a big fancy dress, it was hard for her to understand. Oh well. Im so glad we went. It was totally worth it even just for the experience and to say that we did.
They showed up in a motor brigade on 12 Ave in Calgary. This carriage was sitting there waiting to carry them in. What I would have given to be that driver!!

Here is Princess Kate getting into the carriage.

Followed by her dashing husband Prince William. I LOVED that they were wearing white Stetson cowboy hats. The traditional hat of Calgary. They were given to them as gifts at the airport when they arrived.


And here is the happy couple driving in. They drove about 200 yards and then there was a presentation where Prince William participated in chuckwagon racing which I thought was so cool. They said that the Royal Couple has never participated in events in the cities, only observed. But Will and Kate broke all tradition and participated in a TON of things while they were in Canada. I dont know them personally but they have a glow about them and I really feel like I know them as weird and as cheesy as that may seem. I loved it. Everything about it. The next day we were driving on Memorial Tr in Calgary and all the traffic in the opposite direction stopped. People were out of their cars taking pictures. It was the Royal Couple's brigade taking them to the airport. So cool. I am proud to say that Canada still has some allegiance to the Queen and to England. It makes me feel closer to the Royal Couple. :)





1 comment:

Danny and Shalayne said...

that is awesome. Danny would have made fun of me though :)